FAR TOO MANY PEOPLE

LONG FOR HOME EVEN THOUGH THEY

SEEM TO HAVE ONE.




Thursday, February 21, 2008

The Learning Club

The concept of The Learning Club started over four years ago when I began assigning topics of discussion at the dinner table. Even the grandchildren loved getting a turn to express their own thoughts and ideas. When we traveled to Mexico with Lakes and Bundys in 05, I assigned topics to discuss during dinner and time in the rental van. We never did get through everything because one topic would lead to another and we would share ideas late into the night.
On our recent trip to Thailand with all ten of the adults in our family, we did the same thing. This time Trace assigned each of us a 30 minute presentation and then a mini of our choice. These "presentations" were some of the best moments of the trip and we all looked forward to each others topics.
Last summer I started a Learning Club with some friends in my ward. We got together once a month for one hour....no food allowed! We took turns hosting and sharing ideas on a wide range of topics. We loved it and will start over when I return to Utah in May.
I like to teach the kinder something when we are together. Sara bought Caleb, who is four, a deck of geography cards of places around the world. Like Easter Island, Panama Canal, K2. There are 42 cards. Caleb learned so fast. When my 15 year-old grandson, Josh, came over I got the cards out to see how he would do. Two of his friends were with him. They did not so good. Then I said, "Let's see how Caleb can do." It was sweet! In Josh's words: Caleb stole my cool!
I have indoctrinated the kinder with memorizing God Bless America and the life sketch of Abraham Lincoln and Charles Lindberg. And that's just the three year olds. All the time we spend together in the car does not go to waste:)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds so good. May I pinch your idea???
My grandsons are Jonathan 5, Thomas 5, Oliver 3, Jonty 1. I get to spend limited time with them as they live far far from where I live. This way I can make the time count specially.

Ellie

Annie said...

Yes, of course. I love New Zealand. We visited in 1998 on both islands. Little boys are so fun!