FAR TOO MANY PEOPLE

LONG FOR HOME EVEN THOUGH THEY

SEEM TO HAVE ONE.




Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Back In The Day

The Virgin Islands are known as a tourism hot spot of fun in the sun and luxury shopping. From ancient Indian tribes to treacherous pirates, from calm plantation life to the bustling activity of a free port, the Virgin Islands are a destination with a rich and varied history. For centuries, the Virgin Islands were strictly Indian territory. That all changed in 1493, with the arrival of Christopher Columbus at Salt River on St. Croix. The early Spanish colony was a brawling den of traders and free bounders. By the mid-to-late 1600's Dutch and English settlers were firmly established on St. Croix and after numerous attempts, St. Thomas and St. John flew the Danish flag under the management of the West India Company. All three islands were declared free ports in the early 1800's in hopes of bolstering the flailing economy. Today St. Thomas continues to grow as one of the most popular cruise ship ports in the world. We stayed at this Marriott resort and rented a jeep to
travel to Magen's Bay which is hailed as one of the world's most
beautiful beaches.


We took a ferry to St. John's where we kayaked to a secluded island to snorkel. I still am rather afraid of water but have made much headway. I noticed that when we finished snorkeling I had forgotten to wear a life jacket. Much to my surprise I learned that the fins worked just fine and the jacket would have made no difference. I'm glad I had it on though when I dumped our jet ski once on the Willamette River and found myself under it in the water. Scary times. Those private swimming lessons I took when I was 16 with Susan B. were a waste of my parents money. Flunking swimming at that age can be very demoralizing!! After that we hiked for three hours on a very steep trail to enjoy ocean views from many directions.


My new friend is smiling because of all the purses and bags I bought from him! He realized he could now feed his family for a year.

10 comments:

Lee said...

vera vera interesting kid. i enjoyed learning some history this morning. i'm sure you make new friends everywhere you go cause of all the shopping you do :)

Jamie Jo said...

Those pics are gorgeous! You're quite the hottie on the beach!

The Skeen's said...

Those pictures made me a little homesick for Tortola. That is a fun place. When we lived in Tortola there were no cruise ships that came into port and the island was quite untouched. We were disappointed when we returned many years later to find that the cuise ship traffic, while it brings some commerce it really changes everything. Your trip sounded so fun. you do some wonderful trips.

Annie said...

We were trying to think of where you lived when you first married and couldn't....so I'm glad the mystery is solved! I'm sure that was a wonderful way to start off:)

Lindsey said...

That water is amazing!!! I think I would never get tired of it if I lived there. The Oregon coast would probably seem so bland to them. I loved the history of the islands. And who was that man behind you in the kayak? Was he an island native? Sure looked like it to me.

Hunter said...

You guys are having far too much fun. When are you planning on coming back to Utah? I would love to see you guys....thanksgiving was fun.

Amazed said...

Great pictures! I've always wanted to go to St. Thomas since seeing the movie "The Four Seasons" in the 80's....although the movie made me SOOOO mad....but the vacationing couples went sailing at St. Thomas and it looked out-of-world beautiful! I wish I were there right now sipping pina coladas.....sigh....

Joyce Anne said...

Wow...Looks like a great trip. I am in agreement with Lindsey about the water. I think I could just look at it forever. By the way, about the guy selling bags on the beach, I want the one in the bottom left-hand corner. I think it would make a great bag for work and to carry my laptop. Maybe I will go see if I can find him on the beach....Wait...after your shopping he may not be there. He probably won't have to work for a while. Thanks for the sightseeing trip.

Nicole Jackson said...

Those pictures make me want to go back to the Carribbean! Jon and I love Maegans Bay and have been there twice now! Seeing the kayak picture makes me miss the water! That is what I love the most. The whole time I was there I would say to Jon I wish my kids could come and experience what it's like to be at a warm beach with warm water. They only know the Oregon Beaches. But then I thought that I didn't see any tropical beaches until I was an adult, so they can wait, right?

Stacey said...

hmm...interesting. I mean, well, anyway.
Did you know the place Issac was designated to be sacrificed was called Moriah which happens to be part of the mount Christ was crucified on? There are several parrallels to Issac and Christ....aunt Corrine, I can't thank you enough!
Anywho...the trip looked great.
Why don't you cruise? I like Sara's depiction. Yawn yawn.