FAR TOO MANY PEOPLE

LONG FOR HOME EVEN THOUGH THEY

SEEM TO HAVE ONE.




Tuesday, November 8, 2011

What's in your collection?



A home doesn't exist to impress other people~it should be filled with all the things that delight YOU. That's the first commandment of great design. Whether your tastes run to vintage or modern, any house can be captivating if it tells the stories of those who reside in it. Our homes are a tribute to our greatest pleasures.
A collection is a group of things gathered or collected. A person has a collection when they bring items together into a group. Collecting is a great hobby because it can be different and unique for everyone. Each found item has its own 'story'. All of us go through our lives collecting and discarding things around us.
I enjoy collecting many different things. My collections have changed over the years. Things I once found interesting, perhaps I no longer do. Take for instance my collection of pickininny craft objects! They are now 'gone with the wind'. I started each of the girls with their own collections during the 80's. They are no longer fascinated with bunnies, bears, music boxes or 'precious moments' porcelain. They have grown into different interests. I still love collecting; old alarm clocks, bird nests, birdhouses, old books, old reading glasses, baby shoes and bone china teacups and saucers~ to name a few!
A few years ago I decided to start a collection for each of my grandchildren when they turn 8. My hope is that someday, years from now, they will cherish these items, so lovingly gathered by their grandmother. But it's not a guarantee. I am collecting for them; (Josh) old boys books, (Rachel) bone teacups/saucers, (Daniel) measuring tapes and sticks, (Griffin) skeleton keys and padlocks and(Camdyn) crystal salt and pepper shakers. Because I love antiques so hard, it is a labor of love for me. Time will tell about the rest of it.



12 comments:

Lee said...

this is lame cause all i can come up with is fridge magnets :( loser

Jamie Jo said...

That made me think of your watermelon entryway in Mesa. And your giant mouse craft objects in Mesa. My how times have changed.

I can't think of anything I collect other than kids...and friends...and useless trivia in my mind.

Grand Life said...

When I decided I need to collect I turned to the items I had loved as a child. the 40 and 50's Movie Star Magazines and Paper Dolls. I have a huge collection of both now and none of my children are interested at all in it. I know I'll have to unload it over the next 10-15 years. I know Mesa is a huge place but does the name Wendy Candland ring a bell. She's a school friend of mine from way back.

Sidney said...

I love hats. I found some "to die for" vintage 60's at the DI on Christmas Eve. (just goes to show how service pays off) Bryon told someone about a pet turtle and thats all it took. People started giving him turtles from around the world. Our favorite is a horrible all leather thing that is the size of a dog. I was so mad I couldn't hide it away with the rest of his collection but now it's become our favorite conversation piece. So much classier don't you think than some priceless crystal vase.

Vonnie said...

I've been collecting seasonal decorations over the years. I like to add something new each year and have started buying my daughters something to add to their collections for their homes each year. My mother-in-law gave me this idea. She still gives me a spring and Christmas decoration each year. Some of my best stuff came from her. I now have bins full of decorations for winter/snowmen, Valentines day, Easter/spring, 4th of July/patriotic stuff, Halloween/fall, Thanksgiving and Christmas. My all time favorite collection is my Christmas nativity collection. I think I have about 12 complete sets and 20 or more Mary, Joseph and baby Jesus sets from all over the world. I love to get them out each year!

Vonnie said...

Oh and Lee, I've got a killer collection of fridge magnets from all over the place too! I love them! Go fridge magnets!!!

Jord said...

Good post Ann. I have a smallish collection of Nativity sets, as well as fridge magnets, and a key chain collection I started back in Junior High. I guess I need to up my collection game. :)

Amazed said...

This post reminded me of past collections that I now am "over"...and you're right. We can move on to other things. I do collect for my grandchildren as well. Paper dolls (my favorites are The Reagans- with Michael wearing a tutu and Nancy wearing rose-colored glasses!) I collect Pez's since one of my sons did when he was young. I keep collecting them for him...although he's not interested anymore...maybe someday a child of his might want them. And I collect re-told fairy tales...especially Cinderella, Three Little Pigs and The Princess in the Pea. It is fun to find variations in different countries when we are traveling. One of my favorites is "The Three Little Hawaiian Pigs and the Magic Shark."

And friends. They are life's greatest collection!

The Skeen's said...

I loved your post about collections. I started a Madam Alexander Doll collection many years ago when the girls were young and it is my plan to give it to Tracy's little girl, Taylor. I have a snowman collection that I bring out in December that I really enjoy and a small Nativity collection. My Mom has a spoon collection that she has been working on for many many years and I think she has something like 400 spoons. When my children were first born I started a christmas tree ornament collection for them and added to it every year and then when they got married I gave it to them for their own tree. Your idea of starting a collection for your grandkids is a wonderful Idea and I plan to put that one into practice, thanks.

Annie said...

I love LOVE all your ideas. I'm going to implement many of them. Thank you...except you Leemo. Kid, get going! Sidney I need to come and see that turtle/dog. And that is true that some of our husband's collections need to be 'hidden away'. Too funny!!

Lindsey said...

I have the most fanciest collection of Holiday Barbies still in their box. Thank goodness for Skeen Family Trivia or else I think my collection would fade away. I hope to give them to Emma some year, but only if she truly treasures them. Also, I love my little tradition of collection an annual Christmas tree decoration. Ryan has been really good about helping me find one and not complaining about the added expense that time of year. I am rappidly on my way to collecting occasional scrapbooks, they are making quite the cute display on my magical armoir.

Lee said...

ok- i must redeem myself- i forgot about my nativity collection, and that i buy christmas tree ornaments every year for us and the kids from places we've been on vacation or something memorable from that year- happy now?