FAR TOO MANY PEOPLE

LONG FOR HOME EVEN THOUGH THEY

SEEM TO HAVE ONE.




Monday, September 1, 2008

My Laborless Labor Day






I know, I know. Too many posts for one day. Sue me! Trace left for Trinidad at 4 a.m. and I get a little stir crazy sometimes in the dark of night. The Petersen's came for dinner on Sunday and then slept over and spent Labor Day with me. The boys and I watched Eight Seconds and then I spent much of the evening watching them "ride the bull/buffalo" on my large exercise ball. Boy howdie, could they ride. That thing could really buck them off. Jaken liked to fall to the floor and play dead. Caleb and I would have to drag him to the "hospital" to get the bleeding stopped. Over&over&over. You get the picture. Then we had Family Home Evening and Caleb gave the lesson from his primary class on "I can obey." Next we played the thimble game, where water is thrown on the one who guesses the correct answer. It is just supposed to be a small amount, but I literally had to sop up with a towel after Jaken and Caleb took their turns! Apple Dumplings for dessert, from Pioneer Woman's blog ,are still a hit. We played a fun game after the boys went to bed, and then Cody slept in the bunkhouse with Caleb.

During the night, two raccoons were captured in my trap. I wish the pictures I had taken of their relocation had turned out. Raccoons in a trap can be VERY frightening as they growl and hiss. I was grateful Cody was here to help me release them to another location. I have done it myself once and it is very nerve racking. The littles were quite entertained with the procedure. A few years ago I trapped a skunk, on accident of course, and decided to try and let it go instead of having Trace shoot it, as he so wanted to do. Fortunately, I didn't get 'sprayed'. Lindsey has that adventure on video!

I took some family pictures for Sara and then we dressed the boys up in the cowboy gear for some candid shots. Jaken was a little pill. He has learned to say: shut up, and I know it isn't funny but he cracked me up every one of the 23 times he said it. Once I said, "no YOU shut up." He said, "that's mean." K-i-d-s!!!!!!!!

I talked Sara &Cody into an early matinee of the movie TRAITOR. Trace and I saw it on Friday and really enjoyed it. I can recommend it to anyone. Don Cheadle reaffirms his excellence in a good, terrorism-themed thriller.

10 comments:

Lee said...

You're killing me with so many posts at once! Kid, I can only comment on one. Sorry. Hope I don't get in trouble. Looks/sounds like you and the Petes had a great time. You gotta write that cute/funny stuff down that the kinder say!

Stacey said...

Jaken is pretty stinkin cute. we all can't wait for Brody to start talking, although for now we just make up things for him that we think he'd be saying if he COULD talk. That's a lot of fun too.

Jamie Jo said...

What a fun photo shoot. Spencer and Milly REALLY need one. Maybe at Bear Lake?

Debbie said...

Sounds like Sara lives close by....don't you just love that?? Liza (daughter #3) has lived in Portland since last October which is a happy sad for us. We miss her and her family but now have an excuse to get up there. We are trying to seek out the perfect location that the majority of the kids would all agree to live. Washington and Oregon are in the running! Where in Portland does Stacy live?
It would be so great to get together when you are here this winter. I can see that we have way too much to catch up on!!

Kylee said...

What a fun Labor day! We didn't do much at all.. Sara's family is too cute! I'm so glad you introduced my mother to apple dumplings... they are my new favorite!

Joyce Anne said...

Looks like a great week-end. I envy you being able to spend time with one or two at a time. Michael and family were here from South Dakota for a few days over the week-end. It is hard to get one-on-one time when they are here for such a short time. My house was chaos. Picture this...a 1,2,3,5,6,and 7 year old all sleeping in my laundry room on two queen size blow up beds. Are you seeing a lot of jumping? Stacey and John came from San Francisco. It was the first time he had been to our house. Great first impression. I loved having them all. Well, I have managed to make this comment all about me.....Sorry.

Sidney said...

Cute cute cute, why is it that "shut up" is so adorable at age 3 and under and totally unacceptable there after?

Annie said...

Joyce, could I EVER imagine the chaos! Your comment made me LOL thinking about the punks jumping and no doubt shreiking with delight. Stacy's boyfriend got a baptism by fire, no doubt! But I know you loved every other minute of it:)

Vonnie said...

Darling pictures of the Petes. Love those little boys doing little boy things. A laborless labor day is a beautiful thing!

Lindsey said...

Wow, lots of posts since I last looked. I still haven't unpacked but that's on my to-do list today. Looks like you had a fun labor day. I'm excited to see Traiter, but don't know when that will be. Your hair post is to die for!! I'm already excited to wake Emma up and get started today.