FAR TOO MANY PEOPLE
LONG FOR HOME EVEN THOUGH THEY
SEEM TO HAVE ONE.
Sunday, December 7, 2008
Six-Dip Saints
As a primary child I learned and loved the story of Naaman, the Syrian leper, who was told by Elisha, "Wash in Jordan seven times, and thy flesh shall come again to thee, and thou shalt be clean." (2 Kings 5:10.) Though angry at first because Elisha did not meet him personally and ask him to accomplish some great feat, eventually he went " down and dipped himself seven time in Jordan, according to the saying of the man of God: and his flesh came again like unto the flesh of a little child." (2 Kings 5:14.)
Why did Elisha ask Naaman to dip seven times in the Jordan? Why not wash just once? What did Naaman think as he arose from the first bath and looked at his skin to see if the prophet's instructions were working? What were his thoughts with each successive immersion? What would have happened had he given up at the sixth washing, allowing his initial anger to return, believing he has waisting his time?
I used to think the seventh washing was the one that did the trick, but I believe now it was the sum of all seven trips to the river that brought the promised blessing. There are a multiplicity of simple things we are asked to do by the Lord. So often it is the accumulation of repeated simple actions that over time bring the results. I have found this to be true in such areas as understanding the scriptures, learning the truths in the symbols of the temple, strengthening my relationship with my family, and paying tithing. We all need more patience than we possess. When we arise from the fifth and sixth dipping, we must not lose hope or give in. Let us persevere until the seventh washing, when all the promises of the Lord are fulfilled. Lucifer would have us be six-dip Saints, but the Lord assures us the blessing comes after that seventh washing.
s. michael wilcox
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I loved this reminder.
I love reading your blog. It is always filled with uplifting thoughts, stories, and great ideas. thanks for sharing this great message.
Mom-what do you mean you aren't a good writer? That was great!
Post a Comment