FAR TOO MANY PEOPLE

LONG FOR HOME EVEN THOUGH THEY

SEEM TO HAVE ONE.




Thursday, August 7, 2008

Teens Rock

I promise you I can't believe our good fortune that our 16 year old grandson likes to spend time alone with us. He wants to come to Liberty far more than we are able to have him. Last week, the stars were finally aligned and he came for an over-niter. I told him he could bring a friend, like he did last summer, but he came alone. Is that normal? He and I went to the Batman movie that night. I was clueless because I hadn't seen the first one, but he patiently filled me in. It was fun. He loved being able to take his dinner into the movie and that all the seats were reserved. Adding even more to the wonder of it all, he quite willingly helped me pick up liter the next morning on a 3 mile stretch near our house. We walked to the Maverick and bought donuts and a pop for breakfast...my sinful tradition with the grands when their parents aren't in sight.

After he mowed our "park", Trace took him for lunch and then it was time to go home. He is SUCH a great kid and it has been a joy and blessing to watch him grow up. He is our first grandchild, making me a grandparent at age 43. I've forgiven him!
Regrettably I don't have any pictures of the trip Josh and Trace went on in June. T took him to his homeland...his brother Paul's farm....to hoe onions together. Paul paid both of them the going migrant labor rate. They would get up early, work until about 2:00, lay low; go to a movie or just relax and then go back when it was a little cooler. Josh was a hard worker and a non-complainer. He really enjoyed Paul and Merlyn and enjoyed spending time with his grandfather. Win/win. Trace gave him his share of the money in a savings account. All boys should be lucky enough to grow up on a farm and learn a work ethic from a young age. I feel sorry for 'city boys'. Oh well.

6 comments:

Jamie Jo said...

He is a good boy, isn't he? It must have something to do with his mother. He's a teaser, and tells awful jokes...but when I look at what problems other parents face with their teens I just thank Heavenly Father so much for giving me such a great son. He is so loving and so helpful....and pretty dang funny. Thanks for showing him such a good time. He does love ya'll so much.

Joyce Anne said...

I love how proud you are of him. He sounds great. My oldest grandchild is only seven. Either I am much younger than you (3 days) or my kids just got a late start. Actually it is the later. I didn't become Grandma until I was 52. My James is actually a couple of years older than your Jamie, and he wasn't the first to make me "Munu" (long story about the name. Chinese for Grandma with a twist.)
The "cottage post" brings me such good memories. Maybe this fall.

Lindsey said...

Ryan and I were both saying how we've noticed some really positive changes in Josh. I don't know if the braces have given him a piece of humble pie or what, but I like whatever it is he's got going on.

Kylee said...

Wow that's very impressive of Josh- picking up litter? amazing. I love that you give your grandkids donuts and pop for breakfast! I remember you doing similar fun activities with me and jess when we lived in Arizona. Maybe not donuts and pop but I ALWAYS loved it when you took us out for some fun. You always know what to do to have a good time!

Lee said...

You have formed some awesome traditions- the best I feel is one-on-one time w/ your grandchildren. I plan to be your most faithful disciple (as always) when I become a g-ma.

Sidney said...

Once again does anyone really believe these stories you spin. Sorry not buying it. Teen age-rs wanting to hang out with their grandparents,to good to be true.