FAR TOO MANY PEOPLE

LONG FOR HOME EVEN THOUGH THEY

SEEM TO HAVE ONE.




Sunday, January 11, 2009

Don't Loose Hope

At 7:00 p.m. on October 20, 1968, a few thousand spectators still sat in the Mexico City Olympic stadium. It was cool and dark as the last of the marathon runners were carried off in exhaustion to first-aid stations. More than an hour earlier, Mamo Wolde of Ethiopia--looking as fresh as when he started the race--powerfully crossed the finish line, the winner of the grueling 26 mile event.

As the remaining spectators prepared to leave, those sitting near the marathon gates suddenly were aroused by the sound of sirens going off and policemen blowing whistles. Confused, the spectators looked toward the gate. There, entering the stadium, came a long figure wearing the colors of Tanzania. His name was John Stephen Akhwari. He was the last man to finish the marathon. His leg was bloodied and bandaged, and he grimaced with each step. He had severely injured his knee in a fall, and he hobbled painfully around the 400-meter track.

The remaining spectators arose and applauded the courage of this man as if they were receiving the winner. Akhwari crossed the finish line and slowly walked off the field without turning to the cheering crowd.

Asked why he had not quit despite the pain and no chance of winning a medal, he said, "My country did not send me 5,000 miles to start the race, my country sent me to finish the race." (Robert D. Hales, "Behold We Count Them Happy Which Endure." Ensign, May 1998).

We are on earth not only to begin a race with mortality but to finish it. We may be bloody, bandaged, and grimacing as we approach the finish line, but as we move forward as best we can, our endurance will turn to success and our lives will not have been wasted. What the world needs are finishers who do not lose hope, get discouraged, or give up!

As we seek to be good and improve our lives, we must not let our weaknesses discourage us or our flaws cause us to lose hope. Becoming good means becoming better not becoming perfect.

10 comments:

lyn. said...

Thanks for the the reminder and the words of encouragement and hope.

They are never too few, or too late...

Jamie Jo said...

That was great. Where did you find it? I need to share that story for FHE.

Kylee said...

I really like that end quote. Thanks for the reminder!

Lindsey said...

I love that story. Have you read it to me before? Oh yeah, you used to have an article called 'Finishers wanted." That was a good one too. Great thought to think about at the start of a new year.

lyn. said...

Annie, I must admit that much to the consternation of many Stake members from the "greatest generation," I take my lap top to Stake Conference meetings to take notes [it is white] ... I get so much more written down than if I try to do it by hand, and I have so much more to go back later and review... (Please don't tell on me, OK {-:)

Jord said...

That is a great story about the runner and one that I would often think of while trying to finish out a cross country race in HS.

imbeingheldhostage said...

wonderful reminder. I love that you quoted that story!! I probably should have come here before posting a rant on my blog. I feel better though :-)

tutus n bowties said...

We just did our FHE on HOPE and I this would have tied in great! I might just have to do part two for next monday. Hope things are well!

Stacey said...

For some reason that story makes the knots in my tummy seem to disappear!

Catherine said...

Aunt MaryAnn, you never cease to inspire me and lift me! I love you!