I admire John Lund so much and have gleaned much wisdom from him on many topics. Here is a little gem I listened to recently in the car:
He starts by suggesting that if we went to the Prophet for a blessing to help us deal with difficult children and situations, he might say the following:
"I release you from being a judge. I release you from telling other people what they need, should and ought to do, even with your own family and I call you to be a special witness of Jesus Christ in how you treat people. I call you to be an apostle within your own family; to be a source of love. I give you a special blessing to be a source of power that you will go forth, and by virtue of your example and by virtue of your loving, you will be able to teach. But remember that you will only be able to teach to the level of their willingness to receive. Forget from this time forth that you will be judged or held accountable for how they act. You are not responsible. You are only responsible to love".
HOW WOULD THAT CHANGE YOUR LIFE?
3 comments:
Wow- that's powerful, and such a relief! Although what we're still to do isn't easy, but it sure releaves a lot of guilt and pressure. Thanks for sharing. You're such a great teacher!
Seriously, If I could believe that my children would learn by my example and my loving responses, I would be THRILLED!!!! How do you be firm and give consequences without judging? If they don't want to go to church, I cna't just say, "I know honey, it's so hard when you are offeneded." I have to say - "get up, let's go - you can't let other people's stuff offend you... and if you don't go then you loose..." Please release me from that (or at least clarify...:)). LOVE YOU!!
Cath, in the CD he was talking about a woman who was so hyper critical that the judge awarded her children to the husband with sole custody. I think his words expecially apply to youth who are out of your home and not living your standards. Small children need guidance and restrictions.
Post a Comment